Promoting Your Restaurant By Harnessing the Power of Google
Google and other search engines are powerful tools that can be used to track down information on just about anything. Often consumers and potential customers will search for restaurants and other places of business through Google, Yahoo! or Bing search engines. Learning to harness the power of Google can dramatically increase your business and brand awareness!
The first thing you need to do is see where you rank in search engines currently. Try to put yourself in a potential customer’s shoes and perform some Google searches from their point of view. Generally, the easiest way to do this is by searching for general categories of restaurants in a given area.
Think of it this way: If a person from Miami, Florida wants to find a Chinese restaurant there’s a good chance that she will Google something like “Chinese restaurant Miami Florida” or “Best Chinese restaurant, South Florida.” She will then be presented with reviews, restaurant websites, and other relevant content. Nowadays, Google will also automatically return results based on your location, so keep that in mind too.
The trick to empowering your business through Google is to make sure that your restaurant is at or near the top of the Google search list. You want to be the most visible and highly regarded restaurant through any search engine. It’s easier said than done but there are numerous strategies you can take to improve your rankings!
If you are not currently at the top of search engine searches, we can help show you how to climb up the rankings. And if you are already at the top, our advice will help you maintain your rankings. It’s important to always remember that other businesses will be trying to suppliant you! If you are on the first page of Google searchers, that great, but without continued effort your rankings may fall.
Read on to learn about how you can begin to improve your online presence.
Learning What You Need to Learn
The first thing you will need to do is up your skill set. Internet marketing is all about knowledge, so taking the time to learn the basic concepts and vocabulary will go a long way in improving your efforts. Even if you decide to hire an Internet marketing expert, knowing the basics will help you translate your ideas and provide guidance for any expert you work with.
- Get to the know the terms- Web has its own lingo and you will come across a lot of terms. For example, SEO refers to optimizing your website by making it easily accessible and attractive to search engines. Usability refers to making sure that your website is easy for visitors to use. The list goes on and on, so you should do some Google research to familiarize yourself.
- You will also have to learn how to build your website, or at least design the basic outline for a professional programmer to then build for you. You can customize your page by adding photos, launching promotions, and displaying other forms of content.
- Learning how to read and understand reviews on websites, such as yelp.com or tripadvisor.com, is extremely valuable. By doing so you will gain valuable feedback that you can use to make adjustments. Figuring out ways to reward people, such as giving them a discount in exchange for a good review, is also a great way to improve your company’s rankings and brand image.
- You will also need to reach out to all the relevant listings, review sites, and other places you can display content. Across these sites you should try to present a unified brand and message.
- Understanding social media websites, such as Facebook, and how you can link your business to profile pages on Facebook is also essential. A strong social media presence can improve your search engine rankings.
- We’ve only scratched at the surface, but you get the general idea! You should spend some more time hunting down more content that can provide specific tips and suggestions! Either way, at the end of the day your main aim will be to encourage engagement and to start generating content online that search engines can “crawl” over.
Hiring An Expert
Does launching your own ranking campaign sound too complex and time consuming? No worries, there are many experts who can be hired to help you move your site up the rankings! Often, you can find experts in your local community. Or you can head to a freelance site, such as Elance.com and find an expert online.
Many people prefer to hire experts. The simple fact is that placing your site on multiple listings, generating content, building the website itself, managing your social media campaigns, and responding to reviews can become a time consuming endeavor. In fact, many big businesses staff full-time staff just to manage these issues.
Still, the efforts are well worth it, and if you have to spend a bit of money to hire someone to help you, it’ll be money well spent. A boost in your search engine ratings can go a long way in increasing traffic to your restaurant, so make sure you invest the time and money to get a high search engine ranking!
A Last Word
Did you know that over 95% of consumers now use the Internet to locate local businesses? That’s nearly everyone! And not only that, with mobile phones many people are now accessing the Internet on the go. If a smart phone user is at the shopping mall and looking to dine somewhere, he or she may end up searching for promotions and the best place to eat. And if you are at the top of the list, there’s a great chance you’ll gain a new customer!
In fact, if your business is located in a tourist town or similar place that has a high “turn over” of customers, online marketing for your restaurant will be essential. These people will not be familiar with local businesses and will search for the best places to eat. So if you find yourself in such a community you should spend even more time trying to improve your rankings!
Either way, improving your Search Engine Rankings is a great way to improve your business and build your brand!